Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Voice Search not installed (?)

Home Forums Android Software General Discussions about Android Voice Search not installed (?)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  imported_umit 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

wurlyfan

Hello, I’ve just rooted my Mediatek-branded MT6589 phone quickly and with no errors, using the instructions in the Tutorials forum. However, I now find that I have a strange problem with Voice Search. Google Play (My Apps) says it is installed but it doesn’t appear in the phone’s App list. If I select the Voice Search entry in the My Apps list (on Google Play), it doesn’t come up with any “Open” or “Uninstall” buttons, like other apps in the list do.

I can’t be sure it was working before I rooted the phone because this is a new phone and I was just setting it up, so this may be nothing to do with the rooting process. I did have Voice Search on my previous phone, so it should appear in My Apps (but I haven’t installed it on the new phone because of this problem).

What should I do?

wurlyfan wrote:
    Hello, I’ve just rooted my Mediatek-branded MT6589 phone quickly and with no errors, using the instructions in the Tutorials forum. However, I now find that I have a strange problem with Voice Search. Google Play (My Apps) says it is installed but it doesn’t appear in the phone’s App list. If I select the Voice Search entry in the My Apps list (on Google Play), it doesn’t come up with any “Open” or “Uninstall” buttons, like other apps in the list do.

I can’t be sure it was working before I rooted the phone because this is a new phone and I was just setting it up, so this may be nothing to do with the rooting process. I did have Voice Search on my previous phone, so it should appear in My Apps (but I haven’t installed it on the new phone because of this problem).

What should I do?

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing it?

wurlyfan
    umit wrote:
    wurlyfan wrote:

What should I do?

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing it?

There isn’t any way to uninstall it from the phone, because the app doesn’t show up in the phone’s Apps list (therefore no “uninstall” option). Personally. I don’t think it is installed at all, but for some reason Google Play thinks it is. I’ve now spoken to Google’s help desk, who agreed it was a problem but couldn’t suggest any solution (they suggested an incompatibility issue not known to Google, but possibly related to the fact that it’s a china phone). It also can;t be uninstalled from Google Play (no uninstall option). Is there any other way?

wurlyfan

UPDATE: It now seems likely that the app is installed, but simply won’t work with my phone. Until I checked with a friend’s Samsung, I didn’t realize that Voice Seasrch doesn’t show up on the Apps list.

If you learn how to use ADB shell, or if you install busybox, you can install/uninstall applications from command line. You can decide whether it worths the effort, or you can just find another ROM with working voice search.

You can check the link below for a quick ADB introduction:
    http://developer.android.com/tools/help/adb.html

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.