Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Stylus for Android Devices

Home Forums Android Software General Discussions about Android Stylus for Android Devices

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Chinaren 4 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

lindbergh

Do you think a stylus (a pen-like device) would make an android device more functional? Or do you think that it’s the other way around? I think a stylus adds more functionality to Android devices. Let’s just take a look at the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and the Galaxy Note II. Both these devices have a stylus that adds a lot of features to the device. What do you think?

Memento_Mori

Something like the curved plastic tab attached to the optional wrist strap that was used for the 3DS would be much better I think. Especially for some games where you need both hands.

macpdiaz

If you’re asking if the stylus alone can make an android device functional, it would really depend on the user. It can deliver more precise actions like tracing or cutting around pictures or writing down something. If you use none of that, then a stylus wouldn’t be any help.

However, on the hardware side, it can do a lot of things. One, less possibility of scratching your screen (protector) or smudging your screen with your fingerprint. But you also have to consider if the device is built for a stylus since not all devices (or at least, most devices that has a capacitive multipoint screens) are meant to be used with a stylus.

man007

I have a Motorola Xoom 2 which is a 10.1 inch tablet. I have to say that the only think that offers me a stylus is that it don’t left fingerprints on the screen, nothing else…

lindbergh
    macpdiaz wrote:
    If you’re asking if the stylus alone can make an android device functional, it would really depend on the user. It can deliver more precise actions like tracing or cutting around pictures or writing down something. If you use none of that, then a stylus wouldn’t be any help.

However, on the hardware side, it can do a lot of things. One, less possibility of scratching your screen (protector) or smudging your screen with your fingerprint. But you also have to consider if the device is built for a stylus since not all devices (or at least, most devices that has a capacitive multipoint screens) are meant to be used with a stylus.

You’re definitely right.

I like to draw and paint a lot. A stylus could greatly help me in making “works of art”. Also, if you are going to use hand writing to text feature, a stylus would really be of much help.

droidster
    Participant

I never really liked PDA’s and adding a stylus to a Smartphone, basically means you are turning it into a PDA. Another reason I don’t like styluses is that they tend to get lost or brake, you rarely encounter this problem when using your finger.

macpdiaz

@droidster

well, technically you can also break your finger haha. kidding aside, i used to say the same thing but when I got to use the stylus of a friend’s Galaxy Note II, i changed my mind. I want a stylus to work like that.

droidster
    Participant

I know that’s why I said “you rarely encounter this problem” :).
    I can’t comment on how well the stylus integration is realized on the Note since I have never used one. In all honesty it does make sense to have a pen shaped controller for something called Note, but for the day to day uses I still think fingers are a step forward.

lindbergh
    macpdiaz wrote:
    @droidster

well, technically you can also break your finger haha. kidding aside, i used to say the same thing but when I got to use the stylus of a friend’s Galaxy Note II, i changed my mind. I want a stylus to work like that.

I’m really excited with the Galaxy Note II. They say that it even detects different levels of pressure. I can’t wait to get my hands on it this Christmas. Steve Jobs always said that the stylus would only ruin the experience. I think he was dead wrong.

so far, i’ve never encountered the need to use a stylus. i would imagine that it would help especially with drawings and accuracy. but for me, it’s just nice to have.

Norrwen

I don’t think I would need to use a stylus. It’s just another thing that someone can easily use. Too much of a hassle to remember two things instead of just my phone.

Anonymous
    lindbergh wrote:
    Do you think a stylus (a pen-like device) would make an android device more functional? Or do you think that it’s the other way around? I think a stylus adds more functionality to Android devices. Let’s just take a look at the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and the Galaxy Note II. Both these devices have a stylus that adds a lot of features to the device. What do you think?

Yes, now that the weather’s cold I find it very hard to use my phone with gloves on. This should go over well.

NextLT

No not at all.
    I think that defeats the purpose of a smart phone and it will be taking us back a few years.

Chinaren
    Participant

I have a stylus (okay: s-pen) with my Note II, and I rather like it. That said, I don’t use it very often, but the handwriting recognition on the N2 is really good, so I do sometimes write any long text messages with it, as it’s a bit faster than the usual fashion.

It’s also nice to use when making notes and drawing.

However, it’s not essential and I probably wouldn’t really miss it if I didn’t have it. Then again, I bought the Note over the S3 partly because of the stylus.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.