Can you upgrade a phones RAM?

Home Forums Android Software General Discussions about Android Can you upgrade a phones RAM?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  fanbrits 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

johnnear

I have an Android device and it’s running 512MB of RAM or at least that’s what the manufacturer’s claim. The runs fine when you’re not clogging the phone with apps and other process but once I start to do some resource hogging tasks like gaming or running a pretty heavy app, it starts to bog down and sometimes freeze or crash the app. I thought of downgrading the OS but I can’t do you think phone RAM’s can be upgraded much like a PC?

deathbyprayer
    Participant

As far as I know you can’t. I’m not really sure though, but most phones are built as is. Which means the parts are all stuck together permanently and the only way you can upgrade is to either purchase a new phone or tear the phone apart and hope for the best. And besides, phones are cheap now just spare a few hundred dollars.

Bazabaza
    Participant

Most phones have one block of memory. Part of this is taken as system and the other as phone memory. Its one and the same. So if you have a phone that have 521MB and 4 Gig, the 512 is part of the total 4 Gig. You can in some circumstances reformat this so you have more working memory, but you end up with less storage. if you have an SD then this can be used as storage.

kaseyallan

If you’re well educated in the field of computer engineering then you can simply do anything.

licklozay

I have heard of a few people being able to do this but I’ve never personally been able to muster up the courage to try this. Opening up a phone for me personally is very challenging. I wouldn’t know where to start I wouldn’t know on how to put the entire phone back together. And even more challenging thing for me is I would not know where to find the RAM for my mobile device. If I had access to this information then outstanding that a chance on taking the risk of opening my phone and actually being able to change upgrade the RAM.

alash
    Participant

Sad saying u cant upgrade ur ram… But if u want to upgrade ur external memory it is possible.. But internal memory cant also b upgraded

Rohan99
    johnnear wrote:
    I have an Android device and it’s running 512MB of RAM or at least that’s what the manufacturer’s claim. The runs fine when you’re not clogging the phone with apps and other process but once I start to do some resource hogging tasks like gaming or running a pretty heavy app, it starts to bog down and sometimes freeze or crash the app. I thought of downgrading the OS but I can’t do you think phone RAM’s can be upgraded much like a PC?

Sure you can. If you have access to the type of ram used by the phone as well as the knowledge of where and how to solder it on the circuit board. I suspect that you would also need to change a part of the OS code to enable the Ram to be used.

Crowny13
    Participant

No, you can’t

fanbrits
    Participant

So if you have a phone that have 521MB and 4 Gig, the 512 is part of the total 4 Gig

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.