Wednesday, January 18, 2017

What is Android?

Home Forums Android Software Help Requests What is Android?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  madboy007 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Android is a Linux-based operating system developed by Google and designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers.

Android is open source and Google releases the code under the Apache License to device manufacturers and application developers. Android has a very large community of developers writing applications that extend the functionality of devices, mostly written in the Java programming language.

After it’s release, Android quickly become the most widely used smartphone platform in the world. Android apps were also became popular in parallel with increasing number of android devices. In the first quarter of 2013 there were approximately 800.000 apps at Google Play Store and this number is increasing rapidly. It is estimated that Play Store will have more than 1 million apps before the year ends.

Android is an exciting platform for both consumers and developers. It is the philosophical opposite of the iPhone in many ways. Where the iPhone tries to create the best user experience by restricting hardware and software standards, Android tries to insure it by opening up as much of the operating system as possible.

This is both good and bad. While consumers are not limited by fewer choices available, and large number of Android device variations may provide a unique user experience, but they also mean fewer users per variation. That means it’s harder to support for app developers, accessory makers, and technology writers. Because each Android upgrade must be modified for the specific hardware and user interface upgrades of each device, that also means it takes longer for modified Android phones to receive updates. This is more evident in Chinese Android devices with little customer base. Other than this issues, Android is a robust platform that boasts some of the fastest and most amazing phones and tablets on the market.

seotut

Quite surprisingly though, most smartphones that come with Android aren’t even closely free or open source software, and that’s without taking into consideration firmware and drivers. There are few alternative sources for completely free Android : Replicant, and CyanogenMod (more or less).

But even so, I’m not a fan of Android, in fact I despise it, because it doesn’t give the owner full control over the device. That’s why I’m always try to install a complete Linux system on all my devices. Only then can you call them computers.

seotut wrote:
    Quite surprisingly though, most smartphones that come with Android aren’t even closely free or open source software, and that’s without taking into consideration firmware and drivers. There are few alternative sources for completely free Android : Replicant, and CyanogenMod (more or less).

But even so, I’m not a fan of Android, in fact I despise it, because it doesn’t give the owner full control over the device. That’s why I’m always try to install a complete Linux system on all my devices. Only then can you call them computers.

Thanks for sharing information. You seem to be a linux expert. To explain what you’ve just said, would you mind answering following beginner questions?
    1. Is it possible to install pure linux on android devices, like phones or tablets? If yes, then I have following questions
    2. Where do you get drivers for that device?
    3. Will it be still possible to install android apps on that device? If not, device may not be very suitable for mobile use.
    4. Could you please try to share a tutorial on how to do that?
    Thanks.

Lomew Bartho

Hey Guys me Mark.Well i think that Android is based on a linux and offers you significant amounts of personalization in icons and over millions of apps.Thanks!!

davidexct
    Participant
    umit wrote:
    Android is a Linux-based operating system developed by Google and designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers.

Android is open source and Google releases the code under the Apache License to device manufacturers and application developers. Android has a very large community of developers writing applications that extend the functionality of devices, mostly written in the Java programming language.

After it’s release, Android quickly become the most widely used smartphone platform in the world. Android apps were also became popular in parallel with increasing number of android devices. In the first quarter of 2013 there were approximately 800.000 apps at Google Play Store and this number is increasing rapidly. It is estimated that Play Store will have more than 1 million apps before the year ends.

Android is an exciting platform for both consumers and developers. It is the philosophical opposite of the iPhone in many ways. Where the iPhone tries to create the best user experience by restricting hardware and software standards, Android tries to insure it by opening up as much of the operating system as possible.

This is both good and bad. While consumers are not limited by fewer choices available, and large number of Android device variations may provide a unique user experience, but they also mean fewer users per variation. That means it’s harder to support for app developers, accessory makers, and technology writers. Because each Android upgrade must be modified for the specific hardware and user interface upgrades of each device, that also means it takes longer for modified Android phones to receive updates. This is more evident in Chinese Android devices with little customer base. Other than this issues, Android is a robust platform that boasts some of the fastest and most amazing phones and tablets on the market.

Android is the fastest spreading mobile operating system till date and has the highest number of users compared to any another mobile operating system. It has the crown of best operating system after it defeated Apple in terms of users. As Android is a Linux operating system, I hope it would take mobile operating system to a completely new level.

flaxtick
    Participant

Android is developed in private by Google until the latest changes and updates are ready to be released, at which point the source code is made available publicly. This source code will only run without modification on select devices, usually the Nexus series of devices.With others, there are proprietary binaries which have to be provided by the manufacturer in order for Android to work. The green Android logo was designed by graphic designer Irina Blok.

choppin
    Participant

android needs more optimization,both in the system and the device it operate.

madboy007

good post

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.