Current time: 03-Dec-2016, 02:17 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stylus for Android Devices
18-Dec-2012, 05:18 AM
Stylus for Android Devices
Do you think a stylus (a pen-like device) would make an android device more functional? Or do you think that it's the other way around? I think a stylus adds more functionality to Android devices. Let's just take a look at the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and the Galaxy Note II. Both these devices have a stylus that adds a lot of features to the device. What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-Dec-2012, 04:02 PM
RE: Stylus for Android Devices
Something like the curved plastic tab attached to the optional wrist strap that was used for the 3DS would be much better I think. Especially for some games where you need both hands.
18-Dec-2012, 08:58 PM
If you're asking if the stylus alone can make an android device functional, it would really depend on the user. It can deliver more precise actions like tracing or cutting around pictures or writing down something. If you use none of that, then a stylus wouldn't be any help.

However, on the hardware side, it can do a lot of things. One, less possibility of scratching your screen (protector) or smudging your screen with your fingerprint. But you also have to consider if the device is built for a stylus since not all devices (or at least, most devices that has a capacitive multipoint screens) are meant to be used with a stylus.
19-Dec-2012, 10:16 PM
I have a Motorola Xoom 2 which is a 10.1 inch tablet. I have to say that the only think that offers me a stylus is that it don't left fingerprints on the screen, nothing else...
20-Dec-2012, 08:08 AM
(18-Dec-2012 08:58 PM)macpdiaz Wrote:  If you're asking if the stylus alone can make an android device functional, it would really depend on the user. It can deliver more precise actions like tracing or cutting around pictures or writing down something. If you use none of that, then a stylus wouldn't be any help.

However, on the hardware side, it can do a lot of things. One, less possibility of scratching your screen (protector) or smudging your screen with your fingerprint. But you also have to consider if the device is built for a stylus since not all devices (or at least, most devices that has a capacitive multipoint screens) are meant to be used with a stylus.

You're definitely right.

I like to draw and paint a lot. A stylus could greatly help me in making "works of art". Also, if you are going to use hand writing to text feature, a stylus would really be of much help.
20-Dec-2012, 03:35 PM
I never really liked PDA's and adding a stylus to a Smartphone, basically means you are turning it into a PDA. Another reason I don't like styluses is that they tend to get lost or brake, you rarely encounter this problem when using your finger.
21-Dec-2012, 01:48 AM
@droidster

well, technically you can also break your finger haha. kidding aside, i used to say the same thing but when I got to use the stylus of a friend's Galaxy Note II, i changed my mind. I want a stylus to work like that.
21-Dec-2012, 12:27 PM
I know that's why I said "you rarely encounter this problem" Smile.
I can't comment on how well the stylus integration is realized on the Note since I have never used one. In all honesty it does make sense to have a pen shaped controller for something called Note, but for the day to day uses I still think fingers are a step forward.
21-Dec-2012, 01:20 PM
(21-Dec-2012 01:48 AM)macpdiaz Wrote:  @droidster

well, technically you can also break your finger haha. kidding aside, i used to say the same thing but when I got to use the stylus of a friend's Galaxy Note II, i changed my mind. I want a stylus to work like that.

I'm really excited with the Galaxy Note II. They say that it even detects different levels of pressure. I can't wait to get my hands on it this Christmas. Steve Jobs always said that the stylus would only ruin the experience. I think he was dead wrong.
23-Dec-2012, 03:59 PM
so far, i've never encountered the need to use a stylus. i would imagine that it would help especially with drawings and accuracy. but for me, it's just nice to have.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fixing GPS issues for MTK Devices informationlord 1 1,645 03-Jul-2014 08:12 PM
Last Post: Rohan99
  Repair of Android Devices vida_llevares 13 2,895 05-Oct-2013 09:07 AM
Last Post: ChiChai