Current time: 03-Dec-2016, 04:20 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NASA’s Android-Powered Satellites Beam Down Smartphone Snaps from Orbit
05-May-2013, 01:27 AM
NASA’s Android-Powered Satellites Beam Down Smartphone Snaps from Orbit
Late last month, NASA launched Orbital Sciences’ Antares rocket into space, and with it a trio of satellites powered, get this, by Android Phones. Part of the NASA project “PhoneSats,” the three satellites spent a total of 5 days in space, after which they burned up in the atmosphere as planned — but not before they had a chance to beam down some sub-par smartphone snaps of Earth as seen from Orbit.

The PhoneSats program actually started in 2009, but it wasn’t until recently that the smartphone satellites made it into space, proving that mobile technology could survive up there with the big boys. Two of the satellites were made using HTC Nexus Ones, one using a Samsung Nexus S, and all three took photos from space using their standard camera.

Full story ...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-Sep-2013, 09:13 AM
RE: NASA’s Android-Powered Satellites Beam Down Smartphone Snaps from Orbit
That sounds so amazing. I love it when Android phones are able to do cool stuff like this. This is the reason why Android is dominating the smartphone industry. The fact that Android is Open source just means it's easier to tweak to do specific tasks for it and it shows through this news.
01-Oct-2013, 12:41 PM
RE: NASA’s Android-Powered Satellites Beam Down Smartphone Snaps from Orbit
This just made me real proud to be an Android user. I bet the iphone fanboys would be tearing their hair out after reading this.