Here is another tutorial to improve GPS performance for MTK chipset phones & tablets:
This tutorial was moved from our blog to here:
MTK chipset based Chinese Android Phones & Tablets are known to have a poor GPS performance. Incorrect settings make the situation even worse. In this guide, I will try to explain how you can fix the GPS settings and improve GPS performance. You should not expect miracles at the end since underlying hardware has its limits, but you can see an improvement in GPS fix time.
What you need:
- MTK Chipset phone, such as MT6577, MT6589, MT6589T, MT6572, MT6582, MT6588, MT6592, MT6595 etc…
- Mobileuncle MTK Tools from Google Play Store
- Internet connectivity on your phone or tablet
1. Install Mobileuncle MTK Tools to your device
2. Run MobileUncle MTK Tools and tap “Engineer Mode”
3. In Engineer Mode, enter into “Engineer Mode (MTK)”
4. Swipe your finger from right to left and go to “Location” tab
5. Enter “Location Based Service”. Tick “Enable EPO” and “Auto Download”. Go down on the same page and set Update Period to 1440 (one day).
6. Hit “EPO “IDLE”. If you see “EPO update failure” in the Log, this method will not work for you. Because, your device is probably trying to download EPO data from http://ftp.epo.mediatek.com
which is not working. If this is the case, complete general settings and try Alternate method below. If you see “EPO update success” message, you can do the general settings and reboot your phone. You now can see the GPS fix improvement.
General GPS settings:
1. Go to Settings > Location Access and tick everything there and turn GPS satellites button to “ON”.
2. Touch “GPS satellites” to enter A-GPS settings. Tick the boxes you see in the picture below.
3. Enter “A-GPS Settings” and select the network used from “Network Used”. If you choose “Home + Roaming” you may get high bills while you are abroad. So, select “Home” unless you know what you are doing.
4. Enter “EPO settings” and tick Auto download
Alternate method (for rooted phones):
1. Download and install MT GPS EPO Fix from Google Play Store
2. Run the application and follow the instructions
3. Reboot and check your GPS fix performance
Please share your results in this thread.